Public Services

Find information about utilities and other public services and get connected with staff members who can answer your remaining questions. We’ve included some frequently asked questions (and answers) here for you to reference, but please feel free to get in touch if you don’t find the information you’re looking for.

City Services Contacts

City Hall: City Clerk Angela Gray
Maintenance: Patrick Gray
Fire Department: Chief Jacob Conley and Assistant Chief Alec Dimig
Police Chief: Kannesha Nept
Ambulance & Rescue: Director Gina McNabney
Library: Alan Holton

Utility Information

The City of Merrill provides water, sewer, and garbage services to residents. Please contact City Hall at 712-938-2514 for more information. If you’re a new resident, you can call us or stop by City Hall to give us your contact information and deposit. A deposit of $125 is required to establish service. To terminate service, please contact City Hall.

Utility bills are mailed quarterly on February 15th, May 15th, August 15th, and November 15th. They are due the 15th of the following month after they have been sent out. If you don’t pay your bill by that date, a $25 late fee will apply. Payments can be made in person at City Hall or by using window drop box.


  Who do I call if I see a streetlight out?

Please call MidAmerican Energy at 888-427-5632 to report the location.

  What activities are happening in Merrill?

Check out our community calendar for updates.

  If I am planning to plant a tree or do digging or construction around my property, who should I contact?

Iowa law requires you to call Iowa One Call at 1-800-292-8989 or notify One Call at at least 48 hours prior to any excavation work, whether you’re an individual homeowner or a business.

  When is a building permit required for a new or existing structure?

Please contact City Hall for all building permits. A permit is required for all new buildings or structures and for enlargements, alterations, improvements, removal, or conversions for any existing buildings.

  Do I need a permit to build a fence?

Yes. Please consult City Hall for full details. If you wish to construct a fence on the lot line, the adjacent property owners must agree and sign the required forms jointly.

  Will the City locate my lot pins?

No, Merrill will not locate the lot pins for you. You may call a licensed land surveyor to locate the lot pins for you.

  Do I need a permit to demolish a building?

Yes. Please consult City Hall for full details.

  Where do I get rid of trees, branches, or yard waste?

The City Tree dump pile is located across the road from the CPS site (Northwest edge of town limits). Please be aware the property is under video camera surveillance. Please do not dump trash or lumber.

  Why is my water bill unusually high this month?

The water and sewer fees are based on the amount of water used each month. The water meter on your property is ready by the City monthly. An especially high water bill could be due to additional indoor water use from house guests, outdoor water use such as car washing or watering your lawn, a water leak, a faulty toilet valve, or a leaking water softener. If you suspect you have a leak, contact a professional to get it fixed to prevent high water bills in the future.

  What do I do if reddish-brown water comes out of my faucet?

This is a sign of rust. To determine which water fixture is causing the rust, turn on the cold water faucet only and then the hot water faucet only. If the hot water is causing the rust, it may be your water heater, and you will need to call a plumber. If the cold water remains rusty, contact City Hall to see if the City’s water supply system is causing problems for everyone.

Contact the city with any questions!
  • © 2022, City of Merrill, Iowa. All Rights Reserved.
  • Iowa Web Design by EDJE